Local 79 Apprentice Recruitment
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC) for Construction and General Building Laborers, Local Union #79, will conduct a limited recruitment November 3, 2023 to November 16, 2023 for 200 Skilled Construction Craft Laborer apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
The recruitment for JATC for Construction and General Building Laborers, Local Union #79 will be offered online from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., during the recruitment period (11/3, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8, 11/9, 11/10, 11/13, 11/14, 11/15 and 11/16/2023), excluding legal holidays. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 2,000 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 2,000 applications have been issued, whichever comes first. Applicants who do not have internet access may visit their local library or visit local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
All applications must be received no later than November 17, 2023.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old (at the start of the program).
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED).
- Must attest that they are physically able to perform the work required of a skilled construction craft laborer, which may include:
- Working at heights.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working in extreme temperatures, both indoors and outdoors.
- Lifting and carrying 94 pounds of material for a distance of 30 feet and stacking it to a height of approximately 54 inches.
- Using a shovel to load approximately half of a cubic yard of sand into a wheelbarrow, wheeling it 100 feet, and depositing it into a sand container.
- Must pass a drug screening, at the applicant’s expense, after acceptance into the apprenticeship program.
- Go to http://www.mttf.org.
- Follow the links for Local Union #79.
- You will see directions on how to complete your request for an application.
- Fill out the required fields. Do not add any information outside of the fields.
- Applicants may only apply once during the recruitment period.
- Once your request has been completed and accepted, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Applicants who received a confirmation e-mail will receive an application in a separate e-mail.
- The first 2,000 applicants, who are placed into the pool of applicants, will receive an application in a separate email.
- Download, print, complete, sign and return the application.
- Applications must be returned, in person, within 10 business days from the date the application was requested to Construction & Building Laborers Local #79, 42-53 21st Street, Long Island City, NY 11101, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (excluding lunch hour 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.), excluding legal holidays, on the following dates: November 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 2023. All applications must be received no later than November 17, 2023.
- Applicants who do not come in with a competed application will be considered to have voluntarily removed themselves from the pool of applicants.
- Everyone who successfully applies will receive a date and time for an interview on the day they drop off their completed application.
Please understand that if a greater number of applicants apply than Local # 79 can accept into their pool of candidates, some applicants may not get through this time. However, Local #79 hopes that work will be plentiful, and another recruitment can be held in the near future.
For further information, applicants should contact JATC for Construction and General Building Laborers, Local Union #79 at (718) 383-6863. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.