The Mason Tenders’ District Council PAC (MTDCPAC) was founded in January 1998. In the increasingly complex political and development atmosphere that emerged in the late 90s, it became clear that construction was perhaps the most regulated industry in New York City, that community opposition often scuttled major projects before they could get underway, and that the non-union sector was becoming bolder and more sophisticated. The MTDCPAC was founded in response to those factors.
The MTDCPAC is made up of eight members:
- Bobby Bonanza, Business Manager of the Mason Tenders’ District Council (MTDC)
- Mike Prohaska, Business Manager of Laborers’ Local 79
- Kenny Brancaccio, President of Laborers’ Local 79
- George Zecca, Secretary-Treasurer of Laborers’ Local 79
- Edison Severino, Business Manager of Laborers’ Local 78
- Pawel Gruchasz, Secretary-Treasurer of Laborers’ Local 78
- Steve Flanagan, Business Manager of Laborers’ Local 66
- Mike Hellstrom, Business Manager of Laborers’ Local 108
Bobby Bonanza serves as Chairman of the MTDCPAC.
PAC staff includes Director Mike McGuire, a 34-year member of Local 79; Deputy Director Kris Kohler; and Long Island Field Representative Pete Zarcone.
The MTDCPAC’s mandate is to coordinate political activities of the constituent local unions of the MTDC. All MTDCPAC staff members are registered lobbyists with the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics, with Mike McGuire designated as Chief Lobbyist for the MTDC. In addition McGuire and Kris Kohler are registered lobbyists with the City of New York, authorized to lobby on behalf of the MTDC and its constituent locals on NYC issues.